Akdeniz (Mediterranean) style köfte is a type of Turkish meatball that is traditionally made with ground lamb or beef, bulgur, grated onion, minced garlic, and a variety of herbs and spices such as parsley, mint, tomato paste, paprika, and cumin. The ingredients are mixed together and shaped into small, oval-shaped balls, which are then fried in olive oil until browned on all sides and cooked through.
Köfte is a popular dish in Turkey and other parts of the Middle East and is often served as a main course with side dishes such as rice, salad, or vegetables. It can also be served as a snack or appetizer, either on its own or wrapped in lettuce leaves or served with pita bread. Köfte is usually enjoyed with a variety of condiments such as yogurt or a spicy tomato sauce.
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking time:
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for frying
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground meat, bulgur, grated onion, minced garlic, chopped parsley, chopped mint, tomato paste, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into small, oval-shaped balls.
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the köfte to the skillet and fry until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot with your choice of side dishes. Enjoy!