The Mediterranean cuisine is a diverse and flavorful type of food that originated in the Mediterranean region and has now spread to many parts of the world. It is known for its focus on fresh, healthy ingredients such as fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, seafood, and olive oil.
One of the key characteristics of Mediterranean cuisine is the use of herbs and spices to add flavor to dishes. Some common herbs used in this type of cooking include basil, oregano, parsley, and mint. Garlic and onions are also commonly used to add depth and flavor to dishes.
A typical Mediterranean meal often consists of a variety of small plates, or meze, that are shared among friends and family. These dishes can include items such as hummus, tzatziki, baba ghanoush, and dolma (stuffed grape leaves).
Mediterranean cuisine also includes a variety of seafood dishes, such as grilled octopus, calamari, and mussels. Meat dishes, such as lamb and chicken, are also popular in this type of cooking.
One of the most well-known aspects of Mediterranean cuisine is the use of olive oil. This healthy fat is used in many dishes, as well as being drizzled over vegetables and bread.
Overall, the Mediterranean cuisine is known for its focus on fresh, healthy ingredients and flavorful seasonings, making it a popular choice for those looking to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Preparation Time:
- Cooking time:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 cup pitted olives
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Zest the lemon and mince the garlic.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest, minced garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and rub the spice mixture over the top of each breast.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes, or until it is cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- While the chicken is cooking, slice the cherry tomatoes in half and set aside.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the oven and top it with the cherry tomatoes, spinach, olives, and feta cheese.
- Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the vegetables are warmed through.
- Serve the chicken hot, garnished with additional lemon zest if desired.